Now and Then
The Britannia Inn
The Britannia Inn was built approximately 500 years ago as a gentleman's farm house and was converted to an Inn sometime during the 19th century.
The Inn has always served the local community and was used extensively by local quarrymen and workers from the nearby gun powder factory which closed in 1929.
The current owners took over the Inn in 1978 as a family business and have been involved with the running of the business ever since. Andrew and Anna Parker are now live-in managers and always on hand to offer tradition warm Lakeland welcome.
We are currently researching more information about the Britannia. From the deeds of the Britannia we have information going back as far as 1807 where Mary Satherthouite was owner. We believe that the building was a farm house at that time.
It was much later in the 19th Century that there is the first evidence of it being a pub, in 1896 Whitwell Mark Ltd a Kendal based brewery bought the freehold of the Britannia and it stayed in their ownership until 1952 when Edmund Hodge bought the pub. Shortly afterwards in September 1968 Whitwell Mark went out of business.
Our current research is looking at the Maps of the area too determine the actual build date for the hotel.